Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DIY Nail Polish Rack

I have always wanted a rack, but I didn't want to pay the outrageous prices for one. So my nail polish was moved around quite a bit from different bins. I got so frustrated because I could never see the colors and would have to physically pull them out to look at them. It was very annoying. Well browsing through blogs I found quite a few foam polish racks, I knew I just had to make one.

They are actually quite simple to make! That's a plus. I know that eventually I will need to make another one to store my polish, but thankfully - everything fits with room to spare in the rack I just made.

Video on how to make the rack! 


What you will need:

3 Foam boards - I picked mine up at walmart for 2.88/each
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
X-acto knife 
Duct tape of your choice
Pencil
Ruler/or straight edge

Really quick here is the run down of how I made it, you can also watch the video above for more info.


1. On the first board that is going to be your back draw lines horizontally every 5 inches apart
2. On the second board which will be the shelves themselves you need measure out 7 - 2 inch strips and 7 -  1 inch strips. (This is also horizontal lines)
3. On the 3rd board you need to draw out vertically 2 strips measuring 2 1/2 inches wide. This will be for the sides of the rack.
4. Cut all pieces out - DO NOT cut the 1st board because we will attach all the other pieces to the board.
5. Cover the 1 inch strips in duct tape (this is optional)
6. Start out by attaching the 2 inch pieces with hot glue onto the 1st board so they stand up.I added hot glue under the "shelf" as well for added support. 
7. Attach the long pieces to the sides of the board to close up your polish rack.
8. Lastly Put your 1 inch decorated strips onto the shelves with hot glue. This acts as a lip and will prevent polish from falling out.

That's pretty much it. Sorry if the directions don't make a whole lot of sense, I just zipped through them really quickly. I can answer any questions if needed or you can watch the above video.

OH also in the video it gives directions on how to hang it. Since we are currently living with my in laws I didn't want to hang it. 

Here is my finished product -


With polish and stuff... I have about 60 polishes right now and plenty more room to go. The entire bottom is pretty much my stickers, stamping stuff etc. I believe each shelf can hold about 100 polishes. 





2 comments:

I love reading each and every comment! I have made it to where it will not accept Anonymous user comments any longer to try and cut down on spam! Thanks everyone!